Who’s Who in ‘House of the Dragon’: The Targaryen Family?
The House of the Dragon (often called the House of Targaryen) is one of the most prominent houses in the Game of Thrones series. The Targaryen family is the face of the House of the Dragons, and each family member has dragon blood that allows them to communicate with the dragons and tame them. In the new HBO show, House of the Dragon, which is the prequel to the Game of Thrones series, you can learn about many members of the Targaryen family tree, their backstories, and their character development.
Who is the Targaryen Family?
In the past, the Targaryen family has been the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, and they can achieve such an accomplishment thanks to their ability to tame the dragons in the realm. Their sigil represents the red dragon with three heads breathing flames, showing the primary power of the Targaryen family.
The Targaryen family line started with Aenar Targaryen the Exile, known as a dragon lord and the nobleman of the House Targaryen. House Targaryen is the family that came of Valyrian descent and became the first-ever Royal House in the Seven Kingdoms. Valyrian is a race known for its unique characteristics of violet eyes and silver-gold hair.
What Makes the Targaryen Family Special?
In the Game of Thrones series, along with the new prequel series House of the Dragon, we can learn that the Targaryen family is a prominent and powerful family that has unique characteristics not available in other houses or families.
Here are some unique traits of the Targaryen family that make them special:
- The Targaryen family descended from a special race called Valyrian, with extraordinary physical characteristics and powers.
- The Targaryen family was one of the forty Valyrian families with Dragonlord titles.
- Members of this family have a strong resistance to heat but don’t have complete immunity against fire.
- The Targaryen family can see the future through dreams, which they can use to guide them toward their goals.
Prominent Members of the Targaryen Family
Some prominent members of the Targaryen family become the central characters in the Game of Thrones series. Here are some prominent members of the Targaryen family:
- Daenerys. Daenerys Targaryen also called the Mother of Dragons, is one of the last surviving members of the House of Targaryen. She was born around 172 years after the events that happened in the House of the Dragon series. She is one of the central characters in the Game of Thrones series, who was later becoming the Mad Queen.
- Viserys. Viserys Targaryen, the son of Aerys II, is the older brother of Daenerys Targaryen. Khal Drogo, a Dothraki warlord who arranged for marriage with Daenerys, killed Viserys In the Game of Thrones series.
- Jon Snow. Jon Snow was someone with an unknown identity at first. However, in the Game of Thrones series, we can learn that Jon Snow is Daenerys’ nephew. Jon Snow is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen, the eldest brother of Daenerys Targaryen. Before learning of their familial relationship, Jon Snow and Daenerys developed a certain level of romantic relationship.
In the House of the Dragon series, we can find various prominent members of the Targaryen family, such as Aegon Targaryen, Jaehaerys I Targaryen, Viserys I Targaryen, Gemma Arryn, Rhaenyra Targaryen, and more.
The history of the House of the Dragon and the Targaryen family is being told in HBO’s newest Game of Thrones prequel series, House of the Dragon. You can learn more about the Targaryen family tree by watching the show, or even better; you can also watch the Game of Thrones series if you haven’t done so.